TableScan Turbo Forums  

Go Back   TableScan Turbo Forums > Suggestions

Old 05-19-2010, 09:27 AM
TableScan Turbo Developer

Send a message via ICQ to Zandry Send a message via AIM to Zandry Send a message via MSN to Zandry Send a message via Skype™ to Zandry

I will probably do what i've always planned which is a one time fee of 79 for all stakes, 49 for low stakes up to 50nl or 19 for micro stakes up to 10nl. But I have been thinking a lot this week if I should charge a little more or make some of these new features i'm adding like an addon or something, after a lot of consideration I don't think I will but I am really adding a ton of value
Old 05-20-2010, 05:55 AM

There are both pros and cons to add ons both from your perspective and the users.

You, as a developer, do this for money so addons mean that there is an incentive for you to make significant improvements to the product over time. With a one-off fee once its up and running there really isnt all that much incentive for you to keep improving it.

The downside is that it makes the product less competitive when compared to the alternatives because they charge a one off fee. The thing is that if you add some features which are unique and amazing, it wont be long before the others copy you but make it part of the flat fee.

So charging for addons would mean that TST would have the latest and newest features before any other scanner, however the developers for other scanners would probably incorporate these features into their scanners if they were "deal breakers" in terms of selling their own products.

So you need to think will the new features ensure that that new customers keep buying the product?

Its up to you. I am a believer that people should get paid for their work. This is no exception, but if the other scanners copy your ideas people might be tempted to go for one of the competitors and hope they copy you at some point.
Old 05-20-2010, 08:19 AM

btw. there is one comment i have to the auto-join feature.

i hope that the algo is slightly different than it currently is, as far as i see it works the following

1) browse complete ps lobby -> background table
2) process background table with database -> display processed tables

this often leads to timing issues, as scanning/database takes quite some time, and then on a lot of tables the waitlist is already (way) bigger (eg: 2 people on waitlist instead of zero, which then also wouldnt fit my filter anymore, as i have wl<2)

so i hope the process will work the following

1) browse n-th table
2) check with database/filter
3) join/open if filter is applied
repeat n+1

as displaying tables isnt that time sensitive anymore when there is an autojoin, it would be a superiour way to process it

Last edited by fifilein; 05-20-2010 at 12:29 PM.
Old 05-20-2010, 11:43 AM

yes you want it to filter and join on the fly rather than scan all tables, then filter all tables then join all tables at the end.
Old 05-21-2010, 09:22 AM
TableScan Turbo Developer

Send a message via ICQ to Zandry Send a message via AIM to Zandry Send a message via MSN to Zandry Send a message via Skype™ to Zandry

I know it sounds kinda silly to think that people would message me and tell me I should charge more or charge a monthly fee, but actually it happens probably more than you'd imagine. It's usually MSNL or HSNL players and I think they feel like it gives them a edge and they would rather pay more for me to ration the software and keep their perceived edge. So it makes me wonder sometimes, if I could make more money by marketing the software to higher stake players for like a monthly or yearly fee. But I wouldn't want to alienate all the lower stakes players, and I also wonder if most poker players don't stop playing after a few months, as I have seen that a lot. So i'm still thinking I will do better with a one time fee.

And of course the autojoin will join during the scan And I really don't think getting results from the database should take a long time, unless you are using PT3 with the cache option turned off in TST